Monday, December 19, 2011

The voice of truth...

The world is filled with so many different voices.  Lately, while traversing the plains of life, I have found myself repeatedly faced with the voices of others, their opinions and the search for truth.  Some say that truth is subjective and while I definitely don't agree with that, some things are open to interpretation and I often find it difficult when perception is factored in and truth is seen for its faceted self when viewed from many different angles.  

It's tough, especially in the process of finding our own way in life, living true to who we are and who we have been created to be.  While I have no desire to hurt or wound another living soul sometimes it happens because of my perception of a reality which directly affects what I believe to be truth and sometimes I am the one hurt or wounded when faced with the reverse.  

So what is the answer?  Is it just to be "right"?  At the end of the day, I cannot give up freedom I have begun to find in the life long quest of responding to the still small voice within.  It is so easy to discount or diminish that internal God voice.  Because we are all so different, the only thing I am convinced of is that this compass, this God leading, is the only space of sanity I can depend on.    (No I am not discounting the Bible...it is the source of all God leading).

I can't say I have perfected the process but I have learned that denying my own internal (honest - self aware) gut check leads me directly down the merry path of resentment and agitation.  Life shouldn't be lived that way.  In the end I am reminded of this verse:  

Philippians 2:12

The Message (MSG)
 12-13What I'm getting at, friends, is that you should simply keep on doing what you've done from the beginning. When I was living among you, you lived in responsive obedience. Now that I'm separated from you, keep it up. Better yet, redouble your efforts. Be energetic in your life of salvation, reverent and sensitive before God. That energy is God's energy, an energy deep within you, God himself willing and working at what will give HIM (emphasis mine) the most pleasure. 


Which means that in the end, I give an account before God alone.  

To help my process I have begun to ask myself this question at the end of day:  If I were to stand before God alone on the decision I just made, action I just completed or opinion I just voiced would I be uncomfortable (convicted)?  

By asking this, I have found that I can live true to who He created me to be and feel His approval speaking peace to my soul.  

1 comment:

  1. I love the confirmation of this post reaffirming what God impressed on me last night. "Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men" Col 3:23 and "Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men." Thanks Julie!

    ReplyDelete