Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Transition....Transition...Giving thanks for a life in process.....

I remember so clearly the first time I heard a message on transition.  The speaker was passionate, eloquent ....and the message captured my heart.  I prayed that day, and for many days after, that God would always keep me in a place of transition.  It became so engrained that even my children began to quote me on it.

Quite a few years have passed since that first message, and the romance of the process has long since worn off.  Transition, being the change you want to see in the world, is messy, hard, and often lonesome.  It is definitely a road that not everyone is willing to travel.

Transition means so many things to me.  Keeping a teachable heart.  Looking inwardly first when faced with a tough situation.  Growing in character.  Lancing wounds.  Having grace for others unwilling to change.  Learning patience (ugh) while embracing the journey.

But years later, I still have a hearts cry to live a life of transition.  To be willing to look at the hard stuff in my life... the hurts, the areas of character development, the risks God wants me to take, are still what drives me.

The reason?  God meets me in the process.  After all of these years of life with Daddy-God, living out transition has brought a closeness, an intimacy and a desire for more of Him than I have ever known.  He has set me free from so much of what held my life in bondage.

As I look towards this Thanksgiving season I find myself thankful to the pastor who first taught me this wonderful truth.  I'm thankful for those I live life with who have also embraced being teachable for a lifetime.  My heart is full of gratitude for the wonderful grace, growth and redemption that God has provided in the process of transition.

So this morning once again, I breathe deeply, close my eyes, gather my courage and whisper, "One more time God, help me to transition and grow.  Give me eyes to see, ears to hear and a heart willing to............."

Philippians 1:6 For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will complete it until the day of Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment